My most vivid memories of big weddings and large family gatherings are all from Sooraj Barjatya movies. The dancing from Hum Saath Saath Hain, the singing from Hum Aapke Hain Kaun, the pranks from Main Prem Ki…ok no, not that one.
So forgive me if I seem unbelievably excited for the release of Prem Ratan Dhan Payo. Truth be told, the reason I have loved Sooraj Barjatya movies over the years is because in every third scene there is a pre-wedding function or a wedding or a post wedding celebration.
But this time it’s different. It’s special.
When I heard that Sonam Kapoor would be playing Indian royalty in a Sooraj Barjatya movie styled in Anamika Khanna outfits and Sunita Kapoor jewellery, believe me, I DID faint. I couldn’t even.
Because in a movie where every frame is a celebration, you know that every scene, every moment is going to a real treat for the eyes. So I’m totally expecting 166 minutes of ecstatic joy when I head out to watch the movie this weekend, but for now, let me provide a summary of the days that led up to the release of this movie.
As Sonam embarked on a promotional whirlwind over the past two weeks, I’ve woken up every morning wondering what new feather Rhea Kapoor is going to pull out of her hat. And there was not a single day she disappointed. Looks ranging from edgy to traditional, Sonam Kapoor owned them all. Arti Nayar and Namrata Soni worked their magic on hair and make up respectively, to make sure that not one look was off the mark.
Which brings us to the question, which look would be most appropriate for which occasion if she was attending a wedding instead of promotions? What if you were the bride, Sooraj Barjatya was your wedding planner and she was your best friend – what would she wear? (I know, I understand how overwhelmed you feel right now.)
Rack your brains no more, and read on to find out:
- The Pooja to kick off the festivities is really simple, so she of course makes sure she’s aptly dressed. Keeping it casual, she wears her trusty salmon Anamika Khanna floor length, with jewellery from Gehna Jewellers and Anmol Jewellers.
- The Engagement takes place that very night, where she turns up in this vintage chaadar dupatta + fun suit by family favourites Abu Jaani and Sandeep Khosla. As she watches her bestie laughing away, she hides a tear of joy.
- The Mehendi is a colourful affair with dholkis and folk songs. Hence, a traditional woven Gaurang Shah for this one.
- The Sangeet is ON, and it had to be a beautiful yet lightweight Anju Modi lehenga with a slicked back bun so all eyes are on her when she takes the stage. She’s winning this thing for sure.
- The Cricket Match between the two sides next day is a real challenge for everyone after the crazy sangeet. But not Sonam. She made sure she looks fresh as ever in this Payal Pratap Saree and Amrapali Jewellery as she cheers from the stands.
- At the Cocktails that night, she goes glam with that super feminine Shehlaa Khan lehenga. Perfect choice to make sure she stands out, but doesn’t steal the her best friend’s spotlight.
- The Haldi it is! She laughs at you getting messy and yellow, while taking in the final moments from your unmarried life. It’s good that she’s wearing this ornate yet fun Abu Jaani Sandeep Khosla outfit, because nobody wants to get ANY haldi on that. She’s safe!
- The Best Friend’s Wedding is finally here!! Looking just perfect in yet another Abu Jaani Sandeep Khosla, she welcomes the baraat, calms your nerves, steals the shoes – she’s everywhere! You don’t know how she does it in that heavy lehenga, but you’re glad she’s by your side when you need her.
- At the Reception, she dons this Rahul Mishra couture saree and jacket with Anmol Jewellers earrings. Her toast to the bride and groom is perfect, just like her and her outfit choices.
Aren’t you glad she could make it to your wedding? If you’re going trousseau shopping, you must take your best friend along – especially if she’s Sonam Kapoor!! Yes, of course.
Tell us which look of hers you liked best, and don’t forget to mention what you thought of Prem Ratan Dhan Payo. There, in the comments below.
Love you too ♥